July 2010

Studium Biblicum Franciscanum: the library in Jerusalem

The Studium Biblicum Franciscanum of Jerusalem (SBF) is a Faculty of Biblical Sciences and Archaeology. In 1901, the Franciscan Custody of the Holy Land began planning a center for biblical studies in Jerusalem and these plans led to the establishment of the SBF in 1924. Located inside the  Flagellation Monastery in the Via Dolorosa, the SBF offers degree and non-degree programs of studies in biblical interpretation and in archaeology.

The SBF conducts biblical research under a linguistic, historical, exegetical and environmental point of view. It focuses furthermore on the biblical archeology and in particular on the excavation of sites associated with with the New Testament and early Christianity in the Middle East.

The SBF owns a library, which is open to public and specialized in holdings in archaeology, the ancient Near East, biblical studies, patristics, early Judaism, and itineraries of the Holy Land. Its collection numbers about 50,000 volumes including 420 journals.

The main objective of this project is the Restoration and enlargement of the SBF library

In particular it is necessary to:

  1. Enlarge the library’s spaces by adapting new rooms;
  2. Restore and equip the existing space in order to improve the exhibition and conservation of books;
  3. Provide the library with a new electrical, heating and air conditioning system which will improve the use of the library by visitors. Security aspects will also be improved together with the installation of a fire alarm system.

***

Support the Holy Places. Maintain the Christian Community in the Holy Land.


share facebook twitter google pinterest print send
related stories

Books, Bridges of Peace: an extraordinary project in the difficult context of the Middle East (March 2015)

Books, Bridges of Peace presents: “MFH Manuscripta Franciscana Hierosolymitana. Selected Exhibition” (October 2014)

Books, Bridges of Peace in Jerusalem (February 2014)

Enhancing a heritage: cataloguing the library collections of the Custody of the Holy Land (December 2013)

The history of the Custody of the Holy Land is unearthed while digging through old magazines (June 2013)

The enhancement of the Holy Places and the cultural proposals of ATS pro Terra Sancta (April 2013)

The inauguration of the Library and the Archives of the Custody: culture at the forefront (March 2013)

Inauguration of the new premises of the General Library and Archives of the Custody of the Holy Land (February 2013)

Civilian service: Alessandro’s story at the end of his experience (February 2013)

Works completed on the new Library and the Archives at St. Saviour’s (January 2013)

The new library of Saint Saviour: nine volunteers help out for two weeks (September 2012)

Isernia – Jerusalem. Cataloguing for adding value: the first fruits (July 2012)

The Association “Romano Gelmini for the people of the Holy Land”: completion of the summer 2012 missions (July 2012)

Work is continuing at the new site of St. Saviour’s Library in Jerusalem (July 2012)

Volunteer commitment in The Custody of the Holy Land libraries: the account of Alessandro, a volunteer in Jerusalem (July 2012)

Travel stories from the Holy Land: cataloguing continues in Jerusalem’s libraries (April 2012)

Jerusalem: works are continuing on the new library at St. Saviour’s Monastery (April 2012)

The Franciscan library in Jerusalem: the works continue to catalogue the collection of old sources (November 2011)

Telling the Story of the Holy Land: the donation of a precious object to the Archaeological Museum (October 2011)

The CRSM Foundation supports the Studium Biblicum Franciscanum through ATS pro Terra Sancta (May 2011)