CONTEXT & OBJECTIVE
The troubled situation in Cyprus has yet to change. Barbed wire, walls, barriers and a buffer zone manned by UN soldiers separate the Republic of Cyprus from the remaining territory in the northern part of the island, which has been controlled by Turkey since 1974. A division which, along with taking a heavy toll on the local population, severely affects the immense Christian cultural heritage in the occupied northern area.
A land of the apostles and an important point of passage for St. Francis, Cyprus is now a country rich in thousand-year old archeological ruins, ancient Byzantine churches and monasteries, and amazing medieval Gothic cathedrals. But it is also a country where the Franciscan presence is critical to curbing poverty and neglect.
The Franciscan friars of the Custody of the Holy Land in Cyprus carry out socio-welfare activities (in Nicosia, Limassol and Larnaca):
- Social Center of St Joseph the Migrant, a center sun by the Franciscan sisters of Sacred Heart that in Nicosia offers assistance and training to foreign immigrants.
- Terra Sancta College inNicosia, the island’s oldest school
- Saint Francis Refuge, that offers health care to the poor and organizes recreation activities inside Limassol’s parish
- Mary school run by the sisters of Sacred Heart in Limassol
- Holy Land Rest House, a retirement home for elderly women run by the Franciscan Sisters of the Sacred Heart in Larnaca.
- Support for the maintenance and management of spaces
- Support for the neediest people
- Elderly in Larnaca
- Poor and needy
YOUR DONATION FOR CYPRUS
You can donate by BANK TRANSFER through your bank account and give your support to:
ASSOCIAZIONE PRO TERRA SANCTA
Banca Popolare Etica
IBAN: IT 56 R 05018 12101 000014400444
BIC CODE: CCRTIT2T84A
For American donors ONLY
If you wish to donate a minimum of $500 (with possibility of tax deduction) please contact firstname.lastname@example.org BEFORE making the donation.
Do you want to receive a reminder with this data to make your donation?